Saturday, July 18, 2009

Author Amanda McKittrick Ros

I was flipping thru my June copy of Smithsonian when on the last page (and its called The Last Page) the title caught my eye "Words to Remember".

The article is about an Irish female writer whose first book was published in 1898, she wrote three novels and many poems. She was highly criticized, for what some said, was an abuse of the english language.

Being a writer, I had to read on. I thought she had a great descriptive attitude. Here is an example: for eyes she calls them "globes of glare", legs were "bony supports", sweat was "globules of liquid lava".

Sounds pretty creative to me but to other authors she wasn't. Mark Twain said her first book was an unintentional humorous novel. Two of my favorite authors, J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis would have contests reading her books out loud, the winner was the person who kept a straight face the longest.

Her last book she named her characters after fruits, Lord Raspberry, Sir Plum etc. She passed away in 1939. I think if she were alive today, she would fit right in. I mean, we do have veggie tales, that's only a taste away from fruit.

I think she was born before her time. I wonder what Twain, Tolkien and Lewis would say about authors today. I wonder if they would like my book, problay not. Twain would say "hogwash, do a book about a modern boy." Tolkein would say, "be more descriptive." Lewis would say, "more animals, you need more animals".

Here's to a good week for everyone :)

No comments: