Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Military Widows

I read an article in the paper the other day. It was about a military widow that had talked to President Obama when he was a senator. She talked to him about pension for military widows. You see, they don't get one. The article made it seem that Obama was not keeping a promise about doing something about this for military widows.



I have a true story about another senator who was approached by a military widow. She was a civil war widow and she went to her state senator asking for help to get military widow pension. This young senator fought hard for this woman and he won but it was just for this one woman. You would have thought that the senator would be elated over his victory but he wasn't.



His party, the republican party pulled him aside and told him never to do that again. He was not in office to help people. The young man took this hard, for he was a compassionate person and he had been taught to take care of widows and orphans. From that moment on whenever he would do something for "the little people" of america. He did it fast and quick with the promise that no one would find out that he helped them.


His name, Boies Penrose. He served as a U.S. Senator from 1897 - 1921. One of his favorite sayings "public office is the last refuge of a scoundral"



So, if someone says Obama is not keeping his promise, believe me, he has tried and Washington has shut him down just like in the 1890's. Some things never change.

3 comments:

Beth Niquette said...

So sad, isn't it?

It is hard to believe we live in America sometimes. I've received the long form for the census--you would not believe the invasive questions they ask--and mandate answers to.

42 qustions about intimate details of our lives, including how many rooms, flushing toilets, do we have a friggy, working faucets and a working range.

I don't want the government in my bathroom. Danged if that isn't what they're doing.

That's only the tip of the iceberg. I'm to tell them my ancestry--down to what countries my ancestors came from--they want to know exactly when I leave for work in the morning--down to the minute.

The reason for this question? They write in their info, that it is so banks and dry cleanters and other businesses in my community can know when people come and go, so they know when to open their doors.

And they threaten for every question not answered a $100 fine, up to $5,000!!!

It is none of their business to know about my emotional, mental and physical well-being.

From my research they are endeavoring to categorize Americans into three sections: disabled, dependent or delinquent. Pretty scary.

We've received two census forms, two postcards, six or so letters and a barrage of phone calls. We even have a threatening message that's been left on our phone machine. They have called here every night for the past two nights.

It is downright scary.

As far as this being the shortest census in american history? Well, the people who say that haven't had to fill out the American Community Census form.

It is just unbelievable.

Darlene said...

Two of my grandmother's were Civil War widows and I think I have a letter in an album written by one of the grandmother's to the Gazette-Telegraph newspaper on that issue.

Looking to the Stars said...

Beth, this is very scary. As far as I know we have never had a census like this in this country. Something is going on and I don't like it. The only thing to do is answer the questions, go with the flow. If you fight back, they will get ugly. I don't know why they are doing this but it doesn't sound good. If it were me,I'd give them half truths. keep me posted on this and hang in there :)

Darlene, wow having a letter like that is very important to america's history. This is a sad subject, I don't know why the government is stubborn on this issue. But, it goes to show you they don't care about the people, going clear back to the civil war.