Thursday, May 26, 2011

Huguette Clark Gower

picture courtesy of msnbc


Huguette Clark Gower passed away at the age of 104. She was the daughter of Senator William A. Clark of Montana (the quote he is most famous for is : "I never met a man I couldn't buy")


Huguette was born June 9, 1906 in Paris, France. Her mother, Anna Eugenia La Chapelle was the senators second wife. She was his ward and he married her after his 1st wife passed away. She was 26 and he was in his 60's. Huguette was their second daughter, her sister passed away at the age of 17 from a sickness. Huguette's half brothers and sisters passed away by 1939. Her father had passed away in 1925.


Huguette was married once, briefly. The above picture is the last known picture taken of her. It was taken in Reno, Nev after her divorce.


She lived in New York with her mother, her mother passed away in 1963 living her the sole heir to her father's vast estate. She was said to be very shy and this is why she was seldom seen. By the 1980's she checked into a New York Hospital, even though she was not sick. It is said she refused to see anyone but her sect. (who passed away a few years ago). She talked to her lawyer by phone only and it is said that he has never met her face to face.


A few years ago, the caretakers of her properties got concerned because they had not seen her. Her great,great,great nieces and nephews were concerned because they were told she did not want to see them. Now, she has passed away. I wonder if they will be able to see her now?

She was a doll collector, like I am. My question is, how did she add to her collection? The internet or did she go to auctions and no one knew who she was? Her life seems to be a mystery and may stay that way.


The lawyers are under investigation into her affairs. Heaven knows what they will find.


take care everyone and a reminder, blogger still has not fixed the problem of me being able to answer any comments. So all answered comments will be posted here.

Update: 12/26/2011

I always wait awhile to do updates, so I waited after I read about Huguette's funeral. No one got to see her body except the funeral home. She was cremated and put in the family crypt asap, which makes me think that maybe she had died long before this.

I also wanted to wait to share that I met Huguette when I was a small girl. She came to my foster home (the Baber's) in Denver. Bill Tutt was with her. I do not know if my family (the Penrose's) were related to her but I do know she knew my dad. All I know is she wanted to help me and Tutt let her know if she did there would be bad repurcussions. And if you have read any of my posts about my life then you know that no one helped me.

No comments: